I bought purple cauliflower at the farmer’s market!
Purple cauliflower is naturally purple from the unusually high concentration of an antioxidant pigment called anthocyanin in its flesh. This antioxidant is also found in red cabbage. Purple cauliflower has a milder, sweeter taste than regular white cauliflower.
I enjoyed it roasted in olive oil and garlic with broccoli (425 degrees, 30 minutes)
There were a lot of leftovers, so I made a rainbow pizza!
1/2 – 1 head of purple cauliflower
1/3 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
Garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasonings
Pizza toppings of choice
1. Steam the cauliflower florets until tender. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Purée the florets in a food processor or mash with a potato masher.
3. Allow the mash to cool, then squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Add egg, cheese, and seasonings.
4. Spread the mash on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until golden and firm, about 15-20 mins.
5. Top the crust with sauce, cheese, sliced tomatoes, basil, and any other things you like. Broil for 5 mins or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
Enjoy!! It’s very important to squeeze out lots of the cauliflower moisture before forming the crust, otherwise the pizza will be mushy. You can make this recipe with white cauliflower too!