I’m alive! And cooking :) I decided to jump back into the Recipe ReDux this month with a fun challenge: to make over a recipe from page 54 of a cookbook to celebrate the Redux’s 54 week birthday. My recipe is a makeover from The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur by Kelly Peloza. She writes a delicious recipe for thin and crispy peanut butter cookie. Peanut butter chocolate Christmas cookies are my favorite, so I decided to make a dog-friendly variation that’s easy to make and nutritious for pups. It’s no longer vegan, though. Humans get lots of holiday cookies this time of year, but what about our pets? Have them join in on the festive snacking with this treat recipe!
(Servings very depending on treat size. I made about three dozen 1.5″ flower treats)
-4 strips of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
-1 cup creamy peanut butter
-1 cup milk (I used 1% milk)
-2 cups bread flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder, plus more for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine bacon, peanut butter, egg, and milk in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip until well combined, about 60 seconds at medium speed.
2. Stir together bread flour and baking powder in a separate bowl, then add half of it to the stand mixer. Stir it in at low-medium speed, then gradually add the remaining flour. Mixture may be crumbly, but sticky enough to become cohesive.
3. Form the dough into a ball with your hands. Place the ball on a lightly floured surface.
4. Roll the dough out about 1/4″ thick. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters.
5. Bake the treats on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for 10 minutes, then pull the cookie sheet out, flip the treats over, and bake 10 minutes more. Baking time may vary depending on the size of the treats, so be sure to watch them closely.
6. Allow the treats to cool fully before giving them to your dogs! Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Check out other recipes from the ReDux below: