One of my friends at work celebrated his 25th birthday this week! To celebrate, we had a potluck in his honor. As an avid Crossfitter, he follows a paleo diet pretty consistently. The paleo party we threw was pretty great! There were bowls of fruit, a veggie tray, rotisserie chicken, guacamole, butternut squash soup, and CAKE!
What would a birthday be without cake? Make this beautiful dessert for the healthy eater in your life.
1 large seedless watermelon
Assorted fruits and nuts for decorating
1 can coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
2-3 tbs powdered sugar (powdered coconut sugar or maple syrup if you’re going for strict paleo)
1. Cut the top and bottom off the watermelon. Carve the remaining rind off to be left with a cylindrical birthday cake shape.
2. Pat the watermelon down with paper towels and place on a plate lined with additional paper towels to soak up excess moisture. Chill in fridge.
3. While the watermelon is chilling, make the frosting. Scoop the cream off the top of the refrigerated coconut milk and place in a stand mixer. Discard the liquid portion below the cream.
4. Whip the cream in the stand mixer until fluffy. Add sugar or maple syrup and mix again to incorporate. Begin with 1 tbs of sweetener and add more as needed.
5. Frost the top of the watermelon with a butter knife or rubber spatula and then the sides. Decorate with additional fruit and chill until it’s time to serve the cake!
Pingback: Paleo Mocha Pound Cake | Karolina's Kitchen