This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is “Small Bites” and I’ve been craving pizza, so here’s a fun twist for you to try! My sister and I used to love snacking on Pizza Rolls and 3D Doritos (remember those??) when we were kids. These mini calzones are like the adult version of Pizza Rolls. Kids would probably love them too, of course!
Skinny Mini Calzones
1 lb pizza dough (homemade or store bought. I’m partial to the Trader Joe’s Herb dough!)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/3 cup diced mushrooms
1/3 cup chopped spinach, frozen
6 ounces light mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 ounces salami, diced
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
Flour, for rolling the dough
1 egg white, in a small bowl
1 cup marinara sauce
- Set the pizza dough out on the counter to rise for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over high heat. Sauté the onion for about 1 minute, until beginning to caramelize. Add the mushrooms and chopped spinach. Sauté for 1 minute more. Set aside.
- Make the filling by stirring together the cheese, sautéed veggies, salami, and fresh basil in a bowl.
- Cut the dough into eight 2-oz pieces. Work with one piece at a time: Make a ball our of the dough piece and set on a lightly floured surface. Press the ball into a disk and roll out into a 6-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Scoop a large spoonful (about 1/4 cup) of filling onto one half of the circle. Fold it over to form a half-moon shape and press the edges to seal it. Place the calzone on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Crimp the edges with a fork and brush with egg white. Repeat with the remaining dough pieces.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Each dough ball should look like this:
And then you fill it like this:
This is how they should look before they’re baked:
Once they’re fresh out of the oven, you can enjoy these cute little calzones with marinara sauce!
As always, check out other Recipe ReDux posts below!