Ever since Colby and I visited a friend of ours in Istanbul last December, I’ve been dreaming of menemen. Menemen is a special dish consisting of eggs cooked atop of simmering vegetables. We ate it for breakfast almost every day there and felt very spoiled to have such a flavorful meal each morning. I figured the sauce must take hours to cook, so I never thought to recreate the dish at home. Now that I realize it takes less than 15 minutes to make, I’ll be enjoying it a lot more often!
1/2 green pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1 large tomato, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbs olive oil
2 eggs (or 1 egg + 3 egg whites)
Salt, pepper, and fresh parsley as seasonings
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onion and green pepper to the hot oil. Sauté until tender.
2. Add diced tomato and garlic. Continue to stir until the tomatoes break down.
3. Top the bubbling mixture with eggs and allow the eggs to cook a bit.
4. Gently fold the eggs in with the vegetables until cooked through.
5. Season with salt, pepper, and parsley.