After making grain free eggplant parmesan last week, I decided to try the breading out on something else. This time I made a tasty variation on chicken cordon bleu. I used what I had on hand for the stuffing- spinach, parmesan, mozarella, and BACON!
Several spinach leaves
2 chicken breasts, skinless
2 slices of bacon
2 tbs shredded mozarella
2 tbs shredded parmesan
2 tbs almond flour
2 tbs ground flax
Coconut flour (for dusting)
1. Make PERFECT bacon by placing the slices on a baking sheet in a single layer and setting in a cold oven. Turn the temperature to 400 degrees and pull the bacon out after 15-20 mins.
2. While the bacon is in the oven, pound the chicken breasts very thin (1/4″) by sealing in a ziplock bag and pounding with a mallet.
3. Prepare the breading by combining almond flour, ground flax, a sprinkle of thyme, garlic, and some salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with a bit of paprika.
4. Place spinach leaves on the chicken breast, followed by bacon slices, then shredded cheese. Roll the chicken and fasten with toothpicks. This is the most frustrating part. If you over stuff the chicken, it will be a nightmare to fasten.
5. Sprinkle the chicken “packets” with salt, pepper, and a dusting of coconut flour. Dredge the chicken in egg, then coat in the breading mixture. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins, or until the chicken is no longer pink when sliced open.
Hooray for juicy stuffed chicken!