So I had all this string cheese in the fridge and had to come up with a way to use it up. String cheese isn’t great on quesadillas because it’s the wrong shape. Plain string cheese is a boring snack. I think melted cheese is just so much better in texture and flavor. This recipe was born from my love of melted cheese, pizza, and ground meat. I hope you like it too!
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 cup old fashioned oats, ground in a food processor
1.5 tsp dried basil
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
6 slices salami or pepperoni, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of low fat string cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and cut string cheese into bite sized pieces:
2. In a mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and smush together with clean hands.
3. Wash your hands and using wet fingers, make a ping pong ball sized meatball. Gently press a piece of cheese into the inside of the meatball and re-form.
4. Place the formed meatball on a lightly greased baking sheet. Repeat with all the remaining meat and string cheese pieces. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the meatballs are no longer pink inside and the cheese is melted.
5. Serve the meatballs with your favorite marinara sauce on a hoagie roll, over spaghetti, or atop zucchini noodles!
Pingback: Balanced meals for the super busy | Karolina's Kitchen