Happy new year! These buttery, crumbly cookies are known as Italian wedding cookies, Mexican wedding cookies, and Russian tea cookies. This version uses protein-packed buckwheat flour as part of the gluten free flour blend.
1 stick + 2 tbs butter
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup ground almonds or pecans
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cups all purpose flour (or gluten free flour blend: 50 g brown rice flour, 50 g white rice flour, 50 g buckwheat flour, 25 g tapioca starch, 30 g potato starch, 5 g xanthan gum)
Extra powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer.
2. Blend in vanilla extract, almonds, and salt.
3. Blend in flour.
4. Roll dough into 1″ balls using your hands. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until fragrant but not browned.
6. Allow to cool slightly, then sprinkle with additional sifted powdered sugar. Makes about 24 cookies.
Delicious with a cup of coffee or milk!
My mom and I made the regular flour version yesterday with ground pecans. Today I made the gluten free variation with ground almonds. Both versions are tasty! Next time I’ll figure out a paleo modification.