When I was a kid, I could eat 20 Pizza Rolls in a single sitting and still be hungry. I’m sure I could still do that, but I would probably feel sick to my stomach afterward. Here’s a healthier way to indulge in bite-sized pizza -like snacks! These zucchini medallions are delicious and filling. A single zucchini and link of chicken sausage make 20 mini “pizza bites.”
1 fully cooked chicken sausage link (I used Casual Gourmet red pepper and spinach sausage)
1/4 cup finely shredded cheese (I used Colby jack)
1/3 cup marinara sauce (I used La Victoria brand)
1. Slice the zucchini into 1/4″ thick slices, or about 20 pieces. If you’re in a hurry or really hungry, save time by cutting the zucchini lengthwise into 4-5 strips instead.
2. Broil the zucchini on a baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, then flip the slices and broil for 2-3 minutes more on the other side.
3. While the zucchini slices are broiling, slice the sausage link carefully into 20 slices. If you’re making zucchini strips, you can just cut the sausage into 4-5 strips lengthwise instead.
4. Top each medallion or zucchini strip with a thin layer of marinara sauce, a sprinkling of cheese, and a slice of chicken sausage.
5. Broil for 2 minutes more, or until the sausage is heated through and cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately and enjoy!
I hope you’ll enjoy this healthy alternative to Pizza Rolls and Bagel Bites as much as I did! I had them for dinner a few nights in a row since zucchini was only a dollar a pound at the grocery store.